Did you know that collagen is the largest and most abundant protein in our bodies? That's right. In fact, collagen is the key component in the wonderful structural material that makes up our:
• Digestive Tract
• …much more!
Sadly, as we age, our body's production of collagen slows, as early as within our twenties! Some of the more noticeable signs of this include wrinkles near the outer corners of our eyes or “crow's feet” and what many affectionately call “turkey neck”.
If we were able to see the inside of our bodies, we'd notice additional signs of diminished collagen production: joint & knee problems, prolapsed uterus (females), sagging colon, and weakening of organs.
So…if collagen production is dropping off in between birthday cakes, then what can be done?
Well, I'll tell you.
It's no secret that humans have been consuming bone broth for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Consuming bone broth provides the beneficial amino acids, compounds, nutrients, and proteins proven to:
• Improve health of connective tissue
• Improve joint Health
• Promote firm & youthful-looking skin
• Promote vascular health
• Strengthen bone, cartilage, hair, & nails
Within recent decades, science has improved our ability to more wholly absorb the nutrients in bone broth without having to spend hours or days simmering bone broth in our kitchens. By fine-tuning the production of gelatin and then splitting protein molecules into smaller components (molecular weight of <5,000 Daltons) via hydrolysis,
• Nutrient absorption has dramatically improved, and
• Hydrolyzed collagen is available as a dietary supplement.
In addition to the benefits already mentioned, many health practitioners (including physicians) use hydrolyzed collagen to treat and heal patients suffering from a syndrome known as “leaky gut”, a condition of the digestive tract which doctors are still trying to understand. Leaky gut is not a diagnosis, but rather can be seen as a collection of challenging symptoms.
A few months ago, we added Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate and Great Lakes Unflavored Beef Gelatin to our product lines. We chose this particular brand because we were impressed with its features:
• Highest-quality, Beef Kosher
• Contains unique combination of amino acids in concentrated levels
• Readily dissolves in both cold/hot beverages/recipes
• Digests easily due to low molecular weight (<5,000 Dalton)
• Will not congeal
• Provides for quick assimilation & hydration to connective tissue
• Promotes conditioning & healing, especially bone & joint health
• Improves Nitrogen balance
• Supports “anti-aging” via cartilage support, countering the effects of collagen loss
Additionally, I called and spoke directly with the people at Great Lakes to confirm their safety standards in screening their product from concerns such as BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy), bovine pleuropneumonia, and many others.
Great Lakes tests each batch of their products, before and after production, ensuring customers worldwide can continue to safely enjoy the benefits of Great Lakes products in pursuing optimum health.
I'm scheduled to speak with their chemist soon and will update this article with information from our conversation.